Friday, November 11, 2011

Kidamerinks in the Kitchen: Green Eggs and Ham

I love Dr. Seuss!

We read Green Eggs and Ham a Bazillion times, and never tired of it.

So, for our Kidamerinks in the Kitchen section during "E" Week, we decided to make Green Eggs and Ham.

We talked a lot about Eggs and where Eggs came from for "E" Week.

I essentially used this recipe from Rachael Ray. I tweaked a few things, but they turned out amazing. 

I had always wanted to try "baked" eggs, so this gave me a reason!

Green Eggs and Ham:


Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 Onion (original recipe calls for 2 Shallots - but I only had an onion on hand)
  • 2 Cups Fresh Spinach (original recipe calls for 1 box frozen)
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup whole milk (original recipe calls for Heavy Cream)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 8 slices deli ham 
  • 8 eggs
  • Green Food Coloring


Generously spray a muffin tin with Pam. Then fill each cup with a slice of deli ham to form a "pocket."


Dice onion and saute with butter until soft. Then add the Spinach.


Cook down until "wilted." Add Salt and Pepper to taste.


Turn down the heat and then add the Milk or Cream. Let it simmer on low for a few minutes, or until it starts to thicken.


Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a bowl. Add a splash of milk and a few drops of the green food coloring. Look at how green that is!!


Spoon the Spinach mixture into the Ham Cups.


Then pour the egg mixture over the top.


Bake the Green Eggs and Ham at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes.


Allow to cool, then pop out and enjoy!


Say!

I like green eggs and ham!

I do!! I like them, Sam-I-am!

No comments: