Sunday, September 25, 2011

Kidamerinks Preschool: Letter H -- Continued

We had a great "H" Week -- Continued.

If you have missed the previous Letter Weeks, check them out Here.

We are taking a Kumon approach to writing letters, for more information take a look at The Kidamerink Method.

Next week, we will be working on the Letter "I," so stay tuned.


We did some workbook work in our Comprehensive Curriculum Book.




My Kidamerink really liked doing the Color by Letter pages.


And, we've done enough letters for him to write his first word (other than his name). He wrote "HAT" all by himself.


We play with Play-Doh a few times a week. We LOVE Play-Doh here!

Not Pictured: We made Big Letter "H's" out of Play-Doh, and had a lot of fun doing that.


If you don't already know, I am a huge Eric Carle Fan. When I came across this "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" unit, I got very excited and decided to use it for our "H" week... Because "H" is for HUNGRY!



I found this printable from 1+1+1=1, and here is the direct link to the Hungry Caterpillar Unit that she does.

I used a few of her ideas. We LOVED the size sequencing. My Kidamerink is getting pretty good at putting things in order, and we did this multiple times this week.


I found a Hungry Caterpillar Story Sequencing printable at DLTK.

My Kidamerink LOVED this, as he knows the story well. He thought he was so smart that he could put it all together and tell me the story.

He did this over, and over, and over, and over, and over... I guess that was a good thing?
Learn through Repetition, right?


He also really enjoyed putting the WHOLE Alphabet in sequence, using the printables from 1+1+1=1.
It was a good review to go through the whole alphabet and we made up a few games. I'd call out a letter, and he would have to find it, etc.



We made our very own "Hungry" Caterpillar.
We just painted an egg crate that we cut out and then glued some eyes in front and poked some holes in the top for antenna's.


My Kidamerink's cute Caterpillar!


We also had some fun with flash cards this week. They were all "H" words. I glued them on popsicle sticks to make them a little more interesting.

I printed this off as part of 1+1+1=1's Letter H unit.


I found these cute Letter Matching Cards at Making Learning Fun.

These were also a great hit. I had a big jar of clothes pins, so I let my Kidamerink have at it. He clipped the Matching Upper Case letters with the clothes pins to match the Lower Case letter printed.


These not only function as a letter review, but teach manual dexterity with the clothes pins.


We worked on cutting with scissors some more. I traced out basic shapes and he cut them out. Then we built a "House."


We spent one afternoon talking about Hands. Then we made a butterfly out of our hands -- sticking to the Hungry Caterpillar Theme.


For our snacks this week, we had fun with our food. My Kidamerink got a kick out of eating this little dude!

We just sliced a banana and stuck it back together with peanut butter. Then added some raisins for eyes and pretzels for antenna's. I let my Kidamerink do the slicing of the banana to learn a life skill with a knife... but don't worry, it was a child's plastic knife and bananas are easy to cut. He thought he was so big when I let him do that!!


We also had our Caterpillar "turn" into a Butterfly that day for lunch! :)

We did some counting with blocks and more letter practice with these "H" worksheets. We also broke out the Eric Carle Flash Cards a few times and read a lot of his books this week.

Here are a few of the "Helps" we used.

1 comment:

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

what fun you had with the letter H!

Thanks for lining to the Sunday Showcase & sure hope to see you this week!

Bern
http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase