Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Kidamerink Method

Okay, it's not really a method...

It's just basically a compilation of ideas that I have been gathering from other homeschoolers.

In large, I've decided to approach teaching the Alphabet to my son by using the Kumon Method. 

I don't necessarily like the "drilling" associated with Kumon, but I do like the practicality of how they approach teaching children to write the Alphabet. 

So, each week (since my main goal is to teach my Kidamerink to write the alphabet) we are focusing on a letter and basing the "theme" around that. The Kumon Method for teaching the Alphabet is as follows (in this order):

Ll, Tt, Hh, Ii, Ff, Ee, Xx, 
Vv, Yy, Nn, Zz, Aa, Kk, Mm, 
Ww, Dd, Pp, Bb, Rr, Jj, Uu, Cc, 
Gg, Ss, Oo, Qq

The idea behind this method is that it teaches your Kidamerink to write the letters that are the easiest ("L" being the easiest - straight lines) and then it builds upon those basics until you get to the most difficult letters (Q being the hardest - circle/line).

In researching, this made the most sense to me as the second letter (B) in the alphabet is considered fairly hard to write. I could see meltdowns almost immediately... my son is still working on drawing basic shapes etc. and those lines aren't exactly straight yet! 
 
This Blog has great lessons for each letter using the Kumon Method.
I am not a fan of strictly workbook work though, so I plan on incorporating a LOT of hands on activities. My son is definitely a hands-on learner, so we will veer more towards activities for our lessons.

Also, I approach play time as a learning time as well. I strongly believe that learning doesn't always have to be a structured two-hour block of "School-Time." 

For instance: If your child likes legos, encourage him to sort them into color coded piles, in groups of specific numbers, or in patterns while they play. I like to incorporate cooking into learning as well, measuring out the ingredients and enjoying something yummy together creates a great learning environment. Being out in Nature is also a good way to learn about plants, animals, and insects while taking a simple walk.

So, you will be seeing a lot of "every-day" activities turned into a "learning" environment as well as part of my "Curriculum."
Hopefully you can incorporate some learning activities into your crazy daily lives living with a Kidamerink!!


**Disclaimer: I am creating this Method of Learning around the abilities and learning personality of my son. The beauty of homeschooling is that you can tailor to your child's needs and focus on the things that he/she needs to work on in a way that he/she benefits from. So, take what I have compiled here and tailor it to fit your own needs. I am not perfect or always original, but I am excited to share my ideas or findings with you all. 


No comments: