Saturday, September 10, 2011

"L" Week

We had a Lovely "L" Week this week. 

Here is what we did!
 

First of all, I wanted to take some pictures of our Calendar in Action. It is such a good way to start your Preschool Day. My Kidamerink knows that when I pull out the Calendar, it is time for school.

Here is the link to the Calendar Idea.
Or, you can find it under the Kidamerinks Preschool Tab under getting started.


His favorite part is coloring in the number of Days that we have done school. We can't wait to reach 100!


We started off learning about Lions. Here is a link to the "L" worksheets that I used.


One Preschool Skill that my Kidamerink needs work on is cutting with Scissors. So, I found this easy puzzle of a Lion for him to practice cutting on. He LOVED using the scissors and afterwards offered to cut anything and everything for me! :) 


Look at him Concentrating so hard! :)
Here is the link for the Mini-Lion Puzzle from Home School Printables. It is under the Letter "L" section. Go and check it out! Home School Printables is AWESOME!!


We also made a Lion Craft out of a Toilet Paper Roll. I found this awesome blog called TP Craft. She posts every possible thing you could do with a toilet paper roll that you could imagine!! It's really cute.

Here's the end result of our Lion! :)

If you are ever in need of a TP Craft, go check out this blog...
Because of her, I never throw away a toilet paper tube anymore! Think of all the possibilities!!

I found this book to go along with our Lion Section. Everyone knows Aesop's Fable about the Lion & the Mouse... so it was interesting to get this book and realize there were no words. The pictures and the child can tell the story however they like. It is really a beautiful book, the illustrations are striking. My Kidamerink LOVED "reading" this book all by himself. We would take turns being the Lion and the Mouse. 

The Lion & the Mouse


We did a little bit of workbook work this week. I have a great workbook that I picked up a while ago and decided to get some use out of it. 

Comprehensive Curriculum of Basic Skills


They had a some different worksheets for the letter "L" and they were a fun change for my Kidamerink this week.


We also spent time just practicing writing. I picked up this little dry-erase board at Target a while back. I found it in their AWESOME dollar bin section!


We also learned about Ladybugs this week. We are learning Nursery Rhymes to reiterate memorization, so we learned the Ladybug Nursery Rhyme:
Ladybug, Ladybug Fly Away Home
Your House is on Fire, 
And Your Children all Gone.

All Except One, 
And That's Little Ann
And She has Crept Under the Frying Pan.

My Kidamerink liked learning that Rhyme because he's obsessed with Fires and Firemen. However, I thought it was a bit morbid (like a lot of old nursery rhymes) but later found out that the rhyme was sung by children long ago when they would set fire to the fields after the big harvest.


We found out that little detail in these books! :) We checked them out at our local library. Libraries are so awesome, aren't they? We typically head there during the first part of the week to find the books we want to use to go along with our Unit.


For our Counting Practice this week, I made a cutout of a Ladybug and laminated it. Then, I cut out and laminated 20 circles. My Kidamerink needs work on learning numbers from 11-20, so I would write out the number with a Dry-Erase marker on the "head" of the Ladybug, and he would put that many spots on the Ladybug. He absolutely LOVED this!!


We also talked about Ladders this week - to feed my Kidamerinks current obsession with Firemen. We made this Ladder out of paper that he cut out, as I needed to find another reason to use the scissors this week! He did everything all by himself!


For our Kidamerinks in the Kitchen section, we made Lemon Ice which was simply amazing! Go check out the recipe here: Lemon Ice.


We also had a ton of fun playing Hot Lava. A "made-up" game to encourage imagination. 

See the full post Here: Hot Lava.


And, we took a Field Trip to the Montauk Light House. Since I knew my Kidamerinks' Papa and Nonna were going to be in town, I planned for us to go and visit this monumental Light House. We read a few books about Light Houses and learned about what they did etc. It was fun to see my Kidamerink get so excited about seeing the Light House up close, since that is what we learned about this week.

The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge: Restored Edition   The Lighthouse Cat   LIGHTHOUSES AROUND THE WORLD A Pictorial History


We climbed all the way up to the top. It was a big climb, but we did it!


Here is the view from the top. So pretty!

Next Week: Letter H, stay tuned to see what we come up with!.

The Kidamerink Method

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Wow- that is a "L" week if I do say so! Great post ;-) Thank you for sharing this on The Sunday Showcase!